Title: Training and Development and Organizational Performance: The Moderating Effect of Organizational Commitment
Author(s): Peter Butali1, David Njoroge2
Affiliation: 1Lecturer, School of Business and Economics, Garissa University College, Kenya
2Lecturer, School of Business and Economics, Kirinyaga University, Kenya
The purpose of this study was to find out the impact of training and development on organizational performance and to find out the moderating effect of organizational commitment on the relationship between training and development and organizational performance. This study was carried out in three companies namely Kenya Power, KenGen and Mumias Sugar Company. Descriptive survey design was adopted in the study. The study population was all the 5866 employees in the three companies. The findings of the study were that training and development had a significant effect on organizational performance. The study further showed that affective commitment, continuance commitment and normative commitment moderated the relationship between training and development and organizational performance.
- Abiodun, E.J.A. (2010). Human Resource Management, an overview. Concept Publication, Shomolu, Lagos. 110-121.
- Aguinis, H. (2007). Performance Management; Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Aka, U.A. & Amodu, A.A. (2016). Effects of Employee commitment on organisational performance in the Banking Industry: An evidence from First Bank Enugu Zonal Offices. Scholarly Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 6(1) pp.1-7.
- Allen, N. J. & Meyer, J. P. (1996). Affective, Continuance and Normative Commitment to the organization: An examination of construct v Journal of Vocational Behavior. 49:252-276.
- Amadi, E. J. (2014). The effect of training and development on Employees’ performance; at Safaricom limited Call centre. Unpublished (mba) project, university of n
- Aragon- Sanchez, A. (2003). “Effect of Training on business results,” International Journal of Human Resource Management, 14, (6), 956-980.
- Armstrong, M. (2009). A Handbook of Human resource Management practice. 10th London: Kogan Page.Arthur, W.J., Bennett. W.J., Edens, P. & Bell, S.T. (2003). Effectiveness of training in organizations: a meta- analysis of design and evaluation features. J. Appl. Psychol. 88:234–45.
- Asfaw, A.M., Mesele, D. A. & Bayissa, L. (2015). The Impact of Training and Development on Employee
- Performance and Effectiveness: A Case Study of District Five Administration Office, Bole Sub-City, Addis Ababa. Ethiop Journal of Human Resource and Sustainability Studies, 3, 188-202.
- Barney,J. (2007). ‘Firm Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage’, Journal of Management, 17.
- Barringer, B.R., Jones, F.F and Neubaum, D.O. (2005). “A Quantitative Content Analysis of the Characteristics of rapid-growth firms and their Founders.” Journal of Business Venturing, 20: 663-687.
- Bernadin, J.H. & Russell, J. E. A. (2013). Human Resource Management: An Experiential Approach. (6th ed.)New York: Mcgraw –Hill.
- Bulut, C. & Culha, O. (2010). The effects of organizational training on organizational commitment. International Journal of Training and Development, 14, 4, pp. 309-332.
- Dessler, G. (2017). Human Resource Management. (15th) London: Pearson education Limited.
- Dost, M.K.B & Shafi, N. (2011). Impact of employee commitment on organizational performance. Arabian Journal of Business and Management Review, Vol. 1, No.3.
- Doyle, M. (2009). Management development, in Beardwell, I. and Holden, L. ed Human Resource Management: A Contempory Perspective. London: Pitman.
- Falola, O., osibanjo, a. O. & ojo, s. I. (2014). Effectiveness of training and development on employees’ performance and organisation competitiveness in the nigerian banking industry. Bulletin of the transilvania university of braşov , vol. 7 (56) no. 1.
- Gephart, M. A., Van Buren, M. E. (1998). Building synergy: The power of high performance work systems, Alexandria, ASTD.
- Githinji, a. (2014). effects of training on employee performance: a case study of united nations support office for the african union mission in somalia. Unpublished masters project, united states international u
- Goldstein I. L. & Ford K. (2002). Training in Organizations: Needs assessment, Development and Evaluation (4th). Belmont: Wadsworth.
- Huselid, M.A. (1995). The impact of human resource management practices on turnover, productivity, and corporate financial performance, Academy of Management Journal, 38(3), 635-72.
- Huselid, M.A. (2010). “The impact of human resource management practices on turnover, Productivity, and corporate financial performance.” Academy of Management Journal, 38(3), 635-72.
- Imran, M. & Tanveer, A. (2015). Impact of training & development on employees’ performance in banks of Pakistan. European Journal of Training and Development Studies3, No.1, pp.22-44.
- Irefin, P. & Mechanic, M.A. (2014). Effect of Employee Commitment on Organizational Performance in Coca Cola Nigeria Limited Maiduguri, Borno State. IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science, V I PP 33-41.
- Jehanzeb, K., Rasheed, A. & Rasheed, M. F. (2013). Organizational commitment and turnover intentions: impact of employee’s training in private sector of Saudi Arabia. International Journal of Business and Management, Vol. 8, No. 8, pp. 79-90.
- Kothari .C.R. (2009). Human Methodology; Methods and techniques, second Revised Edition. New Delhi: New Age International publishers.
- Kraiger K. (2002). Decision-based evaluation. In Creating, Implementing, and Maintaining Effective Training and Development: State-of-the-Art Lessons for Practice, ed. K Kraiger, pp. 331–75. SanFrancisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Lambert, E. (2006). I want to leave: A test of a model of turnover intent among correctional staff [ElectronicVersion]. Applied Psychology in Criminal Justice, 2(1), 57-83.
- Muhibat A. O., and Tiamiyu L. O. (2016). Empirical evaluation of effect of training & staff development on organization performance of Islamic financial institutions in Nigeria. Business and Management Research Journal 6(10): 109 – 117.
- Musabah, S., Zefeiti, B.A. & Mohamad, N.A. (2017). The Influence of Organizational Commitment on Omani Public Employees’ Work Performance. International Review of Management and Marketing, 7(2), 151-160.
- Nda, M.M. & Fard, R.Y.(2013). the impact of employee training and development on employee productivity. Global Journal of Commerce and Management Perspective, Vol.2 (6):91-93.
- Niazi, A.S (2011). Training and Development Strategy and Its Role in Organizational Performance Journal of Public Administration and Governance ISSN 2161-7104 Vol 1, No 2 (2011).
- Obadan (2000). Improving Productivity in Nigeria Economy through Effective Planning and Research, Ibadan: National Centre for Economic Management and Administration.
- Ombui K., Kagiri, A. W, Omoke,W, Omoke, D. O. (2014). The Influence of Training and Development on the Performance of Employees in Research Institutes in Kenya. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), Volume 3 Issue 5.
- Osa, I.G. & Amos, I.O. (2014). The impact of organizational commitment on employees productivity: a case study of Nigeria brewery, PLC. impact: International Journal of Research in Business Management, Vol. 2, Issue 9.
- Padala, S.R. (2011). Employees’ job satisfactions and organizational commitment in Nagarjuna fertilizers and chemicals limited, India. International Research. Journal of Management and Business Studies, 1 (1), 17-27.
- Peteraf, M.A. (2003). “The Cornerstones of Competitive Advantage: A Resource-Based View,” Strategic Management Journal, 14, (3), 179-192.
- Quartey, S.H. (2012). “Effect of Employee Training on the Perceived Organisational Performance: A Case Study of the Print-Media Industry in Ghana.” European Journal of Business and Management, 4, (15), 77-88.
- Sanusi, J.O. (2002). Key Note Address at the PGDPA and CPA Graduation Ceremony of the Administrative Staff College of Nigeria: 13th December.
- Silva, R.E & Dias, A. L. (2016). The role of organizational training on organizational commitment. The case of private security employees working remotely. European Journal of Business and Social Sciences, Vol. 5, No. 08. P.P. 14 – 30.
- Tahir, N., Israr K. Y., Shahid, J. & Muhammad, H. (2014). The Impact of Training and Development on Employees Performance and Productivity: A case study of United Bank Limited Peshawar City, KPK, Pakistan. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences. Vol. 4, No. 4 ISSN: 2222-6990
- Waiganjo, E. W. (2013). Effect of competitive strategies on the relationship between strategic human resource management and firm performance of cooperate organizations in Kenya. (Unpublished Thesis). Nairobi: JKUAT Wood, S. (2010). ‘Human Resource Management and Performance.’ International Journal of Management Review, I (4), 367- 413.
- Zhu, Y. (2004). Responding to the challenges of globalization: Human Resource Development in Japan, Journal of World Business, 39: 337-348.
Peter Butali1, David Njoroge2’Training and Development and Organizational Performance: The Moderating Effect of Organizational Commitment"International Journal of Scientific Research and Management (IJSRM), https://www.ijsrm.in, Volume 5 Issue 11, November 2017, 7381-7390, DOI: 10.18535/ijsrm/v5i11.06